Blogs, or ‘Web Logs’, are online journals that are updated frequently, sometimes even daily. An update, (also called an entry or a post) can be anything from just a few lines, to pages and pages of text. The most effective blogs, however, typically contain between 400 & 600 words.
Blogs are one of these best ways to engage your client base, advertise offers/opportunities and improve the visibility of your business online (SEO), and they are only going to become more important throughout 2016.
Your blog can be used for anything as well, not just information relating to your own business, but anything which you think your clients and customers would be interested – information that will keep them clicking onto your page.
Follow These Tips
Even the most seemingly random of topics, with the right voice, can be made over to appear interesting and relevant.
Follow these top tips when starting your blog:
- Decide upon and develop a writing style that is appropriate to your business. What would work best for your intended audience? Informal and chatty, or Formal and serious?
- Post regularly, even if they’re not all essays! At the very least once a week.
- Enable your readers to comment on your blog. This level of interaction is vital to the business-client relationship.
- Before you start blogging, spend some time visiting other blogs. You can learn a lot about the do’s and don’ts of blogging by reading others. Your suppliers’, rivals’, clients’ and other successful blogs are all a mine of information.
- Make a note of everything you think could be turned into a blog. Keep a list of links to interesting news articles or developments, if an idea pops into your head when you’re not at your desk? Make a note of it in your phone!
- Use links and images. No one wants to look at a page full of dry text; appropriate and entertaining images break up the flow of the blog. They also provide invaluable keyword search opportunities, if properly labelled and tagged. Links in your blog to relevant pages on your site will keep people on your website! Links to other sites, or supporting articles add a credence to your blog that is also crucial to your SEO.
- Use tags. Like keywords, tags can be used in blogs to highlight particular text to a search engine – all helping to attract other viewers to your blog and, ultimately, your website.
- Link your blog to all your social media channels. This will let all your followers know when new content has gone up – keeping them in the loop and encouraging them to visit your site.
If you keep all these points in mind, you’ll have no problem producing a relevant, interesting and successful blog.