Thankfully, being able to set up email on an Android device is simple.
The below instructions will show you, step-by-step, how to sync your accounts with your phone or tablet – on any version of Android. And the great thing about Android is you can have multiple email accounts on there!
1. First thing first, find your mail app in your menu (looks like an envelope) and click “add account”. You’ll then need to select your mail provider, this being Gmail, Hotmail, etc…
If your email account is through another provider, you’ll need to hit Other (POP3/IMAP).
2. Next, you will be asked to enter your email address and password – make sure you type this in carefully – to avoid errors.
3. Enter a name for your account when prompted. This is particularly useful if you have multiple accounts set up on your device, and you want to differentiate them. It is also the name that will appear in your recipients inbox, when you send them a message (so, if it’s a work email account, keep it clean!)
4. It’s at this stage that, if you’ve selected the “Other (POP3/IMAP)” option, you’ll be asked to authenticate the server and security options for that account. Where possible, if it is a work email account, it might be that you’ll need to confirm these details with your IT department – some companies have strict firewall and security measures in place, which may prevent setup.
If you have the necessary information, you will need to select “POP3 account” and then “manual setup”. Then follow the below instructions:
Incoming Server settings:
- Protocol: POP
- Email Address: insert your email address here
- Username: This is the username that was given to you when the account was created, usually the full email address
- Password: The password for this account – make sure you enter it with care
- POP server: Change this to read “mail.yourdomainname.com/co.uk“
- Security type: None
- Port: 110
- Then click “next”
The next page will take you to the settings for the Outgoing Server, again, follow the below instructions:
Outgoing Server Settings:
- Tick “login required”
- Username: As above
- Password: As above
- SMTP server: Enter “mail.yourdomainname.com/co.uk“
- Security: None
- Port: 587
5. Click “next/save”
6. After all of the above, you may then be asked if you would like to sync this account with your device contacts – this is optional, and may not be relevant if setting up your work email on your personal device.
7. Next, you can select the frequency that your device scans for new messages. Leaving a larger gap between scans will conserve your battery life. However, if you want your messages to come through as soon as they arrive, select the “push” option.
8. Click “save” and you’re away. It’s as simple as that.
Footprint specialise in creating bespoke websites, designed to help take your business to another level. If you’d like to speak to us regarding any of our services, give us a call on 01883 372488 or contact us via Facebook and we’ll be happy to talk you through your options.