There are currently somewhere in the region of 540 million active Google+ users. That’s a lot of people. But you’ve got a Facebook page, a Twitter profile and a YouTube channel already, do you really need another social media account?
The answer, very simply, is “yes”. Google+ may not be as big as Facebook, or as instantly easy to use as Twitter, but it’s importance to business is far greater. Not only will you be connected to the aforementioned 540 million other Google+ users, but you’ll be eligible to use all of Google’s free online tools as well. Not too bad, eh? But that’s not all… Want to climb the rankings over the Google search engine? Create a Google account. Being verified with a Google+ account/page is just another rung in the ladder of rankings.
In a similar way to Facebook, you need an account in order to set up a page for your business. You can set up an account in a few very quick steps:
1. Open any Google page – e.g. www.google.com, and click the Sign Up button in the top right
2. Enter your details and choose a username (which will become your new gmail account email address)
3. Click next and your account has been created. Easy peasy.
4. You’ll then be led through a wizard-like process in order to add details to your account.
You’ve now got a Google+ Account, you can add people to your “circles” and use the Google+ tools, like: Adsense, Adwords, Analytics, Docs & Webmaster Tools. Just use your newly created login details to get in to them all. More importantly, you can now create business pages…
How to create your Google+ Business Page
You can set up a business page as quickly and easily as you set up your account. The following steps will show you how:
1. Go to http://plus.google.com/pages/create
3. The next screen requires you to type in your business name, then click the magnifying glass. If you’re business has already been verified with Google Maps, it will appear here and you can select it. If not, click the option marked “No, these are not my businesses” and create your own listing.
4. You’ll then be asked to verify your business by post or telephone. Select the option most relevant to you, and you’ll be sent a PIN number that you will need to enter on to your page as soon as you receive it.
5. Your account has now been created. You will be taken to the shell of your account, where you’ll be prompted to add details about your business, pictures, etc. (NB – You can still add all your details even if you’re waiting for your PIN to arrive via post).
6. In the top left, there is a small blue icon. Hover your cursor over this and you’ll see a drop down menu, where you can access your dashboard, settings (to make any changes) as well as a host of other options.
7. Clicking on the “Change cover” button will allow you to change the large picture on your page. Ensure that any picture you put is of the correct size, above 2120×1192 pixels.
These steps will enable you to create a Google account, but there is a lot more to Google+ than this. Next time, I’ll go through how to activate the Google Web Tools with your business.
Footprint specialise in creating bespoke websites, designed to help take your business to another level. If you’d like to speak to us regarding any of our services, give us a call on 01883 372488 or contact us via Facebook and we’ll be happy to talk you through your options.