Google Webmaster Tools offers you an easy-to-use way of keeping track of how successful your site is.
- Identify some of the phrases that visitors are using to find your website.
- Identify broken links on your website, which can then be corrected.
- Keep a health check on your website. This will help you to ensure that your website is clean of malware and viruses.
These few simple steps will help you set up your own Google Webmaster Tools account in no time at all:
- Go to www.google.com/webmaster/tools/ and sign up using your google+ login details (set out in a previous blog)
- Add your website URL to get started (e.g www.yourwebsitename.co.uk)
- Verify your site – Google need to make sure that your site belongs to you. You’ll be given a number of options of how to do this, but the easiest is verify via Google Analytics.
- Use the same login details as used for your Google Analytics account
- Ensure that your website contains the relevant Analytics code within its header (we will explain more about this is a future blog)
- Select the ‘Verify using Google Analytics’ option
- Click “Verify” – done!
(N.B. If this method doesn’t work for you, you can also verify your site by inserting a “meta-tag” into the code of your home page. Click that option on the Google Webmaster Tools page – copy the whole piece of code given – login to your site’s admin panel – click to view the code of your home page – paste the code in here, after the first </head> tag and before the first <body> tag – then back to Google Webmaster Tools to verify.)
Please be aware, the code you have uploaded (or copied and pasted in to the home page) must be kept on your site for the duration of the time you require Google Webmaster Tools. If it is removed, Google will be unable to communicate with your website and, therefore, will be unable to run diagnostics or retrieve information.
You are now ready to use Google Webmaster Tools!
Footprint Web Design don’t just design bespoke websites. We also provide a number of tailored SEO services for clients looking to either move up Google rankings, or promote their online presence. If you don’t have time for the above, we can do it for you!
Contact us, either by phone on 01883 372488 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org, and see how we can help you take a step in the right direction.