Did you receive an Amazon Fire or phone for Christmas? If you did and you’re struggling to set-up your e-mail, the guide below should help.
You’ll need an e-mail account to sync with the Email app on your Fire phone. More than one account can be added, offering combined or single account views. After you set up your e-mail account, it will automatically sync with the Calendar and Contacts app (if supported by your e-mail provider) on your phone.
VIDEO: EMAIL, CALENDARS, AND CONTACTS
The Email app supports most POP, IMAP, and Exchange accounts, including Gmail, Outlook.com, and Yahoo! Mail, and will automatically populate server settings during setup for most popular e-mail providers. However, if you’re prompted to manually set up your e-mail account, you’ll need the e-mail settings for your provider.
- POP3 (Post-Office Protocol) – POP contacts your e-mail server and downloads e-mails from the server to your personal device. It will then delete the messages from the e-mail server (unless you’ve specified otherwise).
- IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – IMAP contacts your e-mail server and syncs your Inbox across multiple devices. With IMAP, your e-mail messages and any folders you created stay on the e-mail server. When you search your e-mail, the search occurs on the e-mail server, which makes it easy to access your e-mail from any device or computer.
- Exchange – Exchange is an e-mail, calendar, and contact server developed by Microsoft that is typically used by businesses and organisations.
To set up an e-mail account:
Note: If no e-mail accounts have been added to the device yet, you will automatically start at step 3 below.
- From the Email app, access the left panel, and then tap Settings.
- Under Accounts, tap Add Account.
- Enter your e-mail address, and then tap Next.
- If your e-mail account isn’t recognised, you will see the Advanced Setup screen.
- For POP3 or IMAP accounts:
- Tap POP3 or IMAP at the top.
- Tap POP3 Server or IMAP Server, and then enter the server URL. For POP3, the URL is pop3.abc.com. For IMAP, the URL is smtp.abc.com.
- Tap Username, and then enter your username. Your username is typically your e-mail address.
- Tap SMTP Server, and then enter the outgoing SMTP server name (e.g. smtp.abc.com).
- Tap Security Settings and Ports. Verify that your Incoming and Outgoing Security Settings are correct. Consult your e-mail provider for the proper settings.
- For Exchange accounts:
- Tap Exchange at the top.
- Tap Exchange server, and then enter the server URL, which is exchange.mycompany.com.
- Tap Username, and then enter your username. Your username is typically your e-mail address without the domain (for example, johnsmith instead of firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Tap Security Settings and Ports. Verify that your Incoming and Outgoing Security Settings are correct. Consult your e-mail provider for the proper settings.Note: Exchange often requires you to accept device policies as determined by your system administrator. If required, you will be prompted to accept policies such as a device PIN/Password and encryption. Follow the prompts to complete the account setup.
- For POP3 or IMAP accounts:
- After configuring your e-mail account, tap Go to Inbox to immediately view the account you just added, or tap Add Another Account to repeat these steps to add another e-mail account.
Note: If you’re unable to set up your e-mail account, you may need to contact your Internet service provider or system administrator to verify the information you’re entering is correct.
Setting up your e-mail on Kindle Fire HD
Setting up your e-mail on Kindle Fire HD involves providing information about one or more e-mail accounts that you’ve already established with a provider such as Gmail.
Follow these steps to set up an e-mail account the first time you use the app:
Swipe down from the top of the Home screen to display Settings.
The Quick Settings bar appears.
The Settings panel appears.
Tap My Account.
Tap Manage E-Mail Accounts.
Tap Add Account.
The dialogue box shown appears.
Tap AOL, Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, or Other Provider.
Enter your username, e-mail address, and password in the appropriate fields, and then tap Next.
A new screen appears, displaying two fields.
Enter the name that will appear on outgoing messages in the Name field and an address in the E-Mail Address field for your e-mail account.
The account name is optional.
Enter the password for your e-mail account in the Password field.
Tap the Send Mail from This Account by Default checkbox if you want to set this up as your default e-mail account, and then tap Next.
If a message appears about how some accounts sync with your Kindle Fire HD, tap OK to proceed.
In the final screen, tap Save and then tap the View Inbox button to go to the inbox for the account you just set up.
You can set up as many e-mail accounts as you like. When you open the Kindle Fire HD Email app, you see a Unified Inbox that combines messages from all accounts you set up, as well as individual inboxes for each account.