A Microsoft Exchange account is a work or school email account. The organisation that gave you the Exchange email account has an IT department that is running a program named Microsoft Exchange Server. This server provides your email service.
How do Exchange Accounts Work?
When you use an Exchange account, your email messages are delivered to and saved in your mailbox on the business’s Exchange server. Your contacts and calendar are saved there, too.
When your business or school sets up their Exchange Server, they choose what method your Exchange account uses to access email on the server. This will determine how your email works. Here are the possibilities:
- Exchange ActiveSync; MAPI/HTTP are methods for accessing your Exchange email, usually from a laptop, phone, or tablet. When you access or read your email, you aren’t actually downloading or storing email on your mobile device; instead you’re reading it from the Exchange Server. It allows you to access your email even when you’re not connected to the Internet.
- IMAP, like Exchange ActiveSync, is a method for accessing your email wherever you are, from any device. When you read an email message using IMAP, you aren’t actually downloading or storing it on your computer; instead, you’re reading it from the Exchange Server.With IMAP, email in your Inbox, Deleted Items, Sent Items folders are synchronized between your device and the server. IMAP allows for limited calendar storage but does not support collaborating on a calendar with other users.
- POP email is downloaded from the Exchange Server onto your computer. Once email is downloaded to your computer, it’s deleted from the server. To access the email after it’s downloaded, you have to use the same computer. If you access your email from different computer or device, it will look like some of your previously downloaded messages have been deleted.
What types of e-mail accounts does your Outlook profile have?
You can check the Account Settings dialog box in Outlook for the types of e-mail accounts in your Outlook profile.
- On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, the Type column lists the type of account for each entry.
If you’d like to speak to us regarding any of our services, please give us a call on 01883 372488 or contact us via Facebook and we’ll be happy to talk you through your options.