These steps are the same whether you’re adding your first email account or additional email accounts to Outlook.
- Select File > Add Account.
- What you see next depends on your version of Outlook.
For Outlook for Microsoft 365 and Outlook 2016
For Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010
Enter your email address and click Connect.
Enter your name, email address, and password, and click Next.
- If prompted, enter your password again, then select OK > Finish to start using your email account in Outlook.
If you need instructions for adding an email account using advanced settings, see Use advanced setup to add a POP or IMAP email account in Outlook for PC.
To update your email settings such as incoming and outgoing server names, see Update your email settings in Outlook for PC.
Outlook won’t accept my password
If Outlook won’t accept your password and you know you’re using the password for your email account, you might have an email account that requires additional security.
Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, Outlook.com, and AOL accounts all use two-factor authentication to help verify that you’re the person trying to access your email account.
To add your email account to Outlook, you’ll need an app password, also known as an application password. This is a different password than your regular email account password. One way you’ll know you need an app password is if you see the following message: 2-factor authentication is set up for your account. Please sign in using your application password.
The steps to obtain an app password are different for each email provider. Select your provider in the drop-down for instructions.
If you’re using two-factor authentication for Outlook.com, use the following steps to generate an app password.
- Go to https://outlook.com, click your initials in the upper right, and then select View Account.
- Under Security, select Update.
- Under More security options, select Explore.
- Scroll down to the app passwords section, and then choose to Create a new app password.
- Your app password will be displayed on the next screen. Make a note of this password, as you’ll need it when you add your account to Outlook.
- Use the instructions at the beginning of this article to add your account to Outlook, but when Outlook asks for your password, enter your app password.